The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 25, Standard for the maintenance and testing of water-Based fire systems and Inspection is integrated into fire protection systems in the United States. This is the baseline for ensuring that these systems are responsive in an emergency. So, what does the NFPA 25 cover? Read on for an overview of NFPA 25.
What Does The NFPA 25 Cover?
NFPA 25 is the industry benchmark for inspecting, testing, and maintaining water-based fire protection systems. First issued in 1992, NFPA 25 addresses basic requirements for the effective care of water-based fire protection systems, including installation and maintenance of sprinkler systems, gauges, pipes and fittings, water flow alarms, hydraulic nameplates, supervisory switches, hangers, and seismic braces. Let’s consider the scope of NFPA 25.
This section explains how sprinklers are inspected during a fire alarm system annual inspection.
Here’s how fire alarm installation companies in North Miami conduct routine inspections.
- Inspect sprinklers from the floor
- Replace sprinkler with signs of leaking, corrosion, or damage
- Replace glass bulb sprinklers that are empty
- Inspect gauges on a weekly or quarterly basis.
- Inspect water flow alarm and supervisory signal initiating devices quarterly
This area states how fire alarm companies in Florida perform sprinkler testing, the requirements, and the types.
- An authorized testing laboratory should test sprinklers before replacement. This includes sprinklers used for over 50 years.
- Conduct retesting every 10 years
- Sprinklers that have been in use for 75 years should be tested every 5 years.
- Only temperature-rated and dry sprinklers and sprinklers exposed to harsh conditions should be tested by fire alarm installation companies in North Miami.
Below is how fire alarm companies in Florida test alarm devices and antifreeze systems.
- Test pressure switches and mechanical water flow detection quarterly.
- Test vane type flow switches on a semi-annual basis
- Use the inspector’s test connection to perform all tests
Below are maintenance procedures followed by fire installation companies in North Miami during sprinkler maintenance and replacement. During sprinkler replacement, ensure you replace with similar sprinklers, including:
- Deflector style (pendant, upright, etc.)
- Temperature rating
- Orifice and K factor
- Design requirements
Concerning spare sprinklers, fire alarm companies in Florida should follow these parameters:
0 – 300: no less than 6 sprinklers
301 – 1,000: no less than 12 sprinklers
1,001 or more: no less than 24 sprinklers
Fire alarm companies in North Miami should keep a wrench for each type of sprinkler installed for head wrenches.
Premier Fire Alarms & Integration Systems Installation Division Inc. is an industry leader in fire alarm systems and security products. Our fire alarm installation companies in North Miami provide fire alarm maintenance, fire alarm repair, and fire alarm system annual Inspection. Are you looking for a reliable fire alarm company? We’re just a call away.