Everyone knows the potential perils of a fire, even when its onset is exceptionally small. If a flame is not extinguished, it can quickly spread and burn the surrounding area in a matter of minutes.
A functional fire extinguisher is essential on all premises. It is the most important tool against fire; however, if it is not kept in good working condition, it will most likely be useless when you need it. Attentive fire extinguisher maintenance is not only necessary to lessen the chances of a tragedy, but also conducive to your peace of mind.
Proper Maintenance of a Fire Extinguisher
To ensure that the fire extinguisher works in the event of a fire, you should follow these guidelines:
• First and foremost, make sure the fire extinguisher is in a location that makes it readily accessible.
• Ensure that the fire extinguisher is set up properly for easy handling, and that nothing is obstructing access to any parts of it, including the hose.
• Be certain that the fire extinguisher is adequately charged at all times, and ready for use. Regularly check the pressure dial to see if it needs to be charged.
• Verify that the pull pin is properly secured within the handle and held in place by the tamper seal.
• Examine the fire extinguisher for any cracks, dents, or rust on its shaft which might hinder its performance.
• Check that there is a visible instruction label on the fire extinguisher, and that it is legible in case of emergency.
• Make sure that no modifications were made to the fire extinguisher that might affect its performance level.
What can happen if a fire extinguisher is not properly maintained?
The resulting consequences of negligent, or lack of, fire extinguisher maintenance could be grave. In order to avoid problems that could arise at the moment when someone is in desperate need of a fire extinguisher, maintenance should be carried out at least once a month. The disaster of a small fire in a home, restaurant, or office building can be avoided; a flame can be immediately doused with a properly functioning fire extinguisher.
Canister Can Explode
Of equal importance is the fact that a fire extinguisher that is badly damaged, has major dents and/or signs of a leak is potentially dangerous. It is possible for the canister to explode. If you suspect that the extinguisher is in bad shape, it is recommended that you contact a professional fire extinguisher company and request that they come and inspect it. They may suggest that you replace the old one. Better safe than sorry.
What to do After Use
Once the fire extinguisher has been used you should replace it or have it serviced and refilled as soon as possible to be properly prepared in the event of another fire.
For more info about our fire extinguisher services, please Contact us at 954.797.7692